A Fractional and Unofficial Guide to Pregnancy (Part I)


Part 1: From Breaking the News to Embracing the Terrible 1st Tri


“Your baby is a miracle – there simply is no other word. Millions of babies are born every year, some in riches, some in poverty, some in cities, some in jungles, some unwanted, some devoutly wished for and jubilantly welcomed. The birth of a baby is the most everyday event of all. Yet each birth is an occasion of mystery, marvel, and wonder”  - New Baby Book by Edwin Keister, Jr.

I was assigned at the Nursery for our monthly rotation when I was still doing my volunteer work at the hospital. Though newborns may look so fragile and irritating at times (they cry at the most inconvenient hours and may defecate just after you’ve cleaned them), there was this certain joy that I would feel each time I hold one in my arms. They’re just so adorable and it was in one of those moments when I was feeding a baby in my arms that I thought to myself that maybe now’s the time for me to have my own. I now know how to feed a baby, change their diaper and how to bathe them. I mean, how much more prepared should I be? The gods must have laughed at me when I thought of that.

Four months later, we found out that I was expecting. Upon hearing from my mom that a younger cousin was pregnant, I did a test myself. My menstrual cycle is irregular meaning my visitor only visits every other month or every two months. So to have myself impregnated was like an arrow hitting the target miles away perfectly. So we were like, “Yehey! We’re going to be parents!” but when the thought began to sink it, we started to have our doubts. But first, how are we going to tell our parents?

One thing that I’ve learned about “popping the news” is that you have to let the most important people know it first. And by important, I mean your family. My boyfriend and I told our parents about it first. No matter how nerve wrecking the situation is – especially if you’re an unmarried couple just like us – it will really help if you let them know first. It pays to expect for the worst though and have yourself ready to taste the wrath of hell because admit it, you’ve committed a sin and if you’re unemployed, you’ve just given them the burden of paying for your delivery which is pretty expensive, by the way. In our case though, thankfully – yes, oh god thankfully – we’ve received well and not to mention calm responses from our folks. It’s just very liberating. When you’re done with your parents, try to tell your close friends first before they hear it from others. Not a good way hurting other people’s feelings at a time when you need much of their support.

It would be best to have your first pre-natal check-up as soon as you know that you’re expecting. Your OB might have you tested for a serum pregnancy test to make sure or an ultrasound to check for possible complications like ectopic pregnancy or an undeveloped embryo. Your pre-natal check-ups will help you in monitoring your baby’s and your own progress during the entire pregnancy. If you’re having some financial troubles, a visit to your local health centers will do or check your local hospitals if they have health packages or charity services that you can afford. They have free services and child support in some countries abroad so this part won’t be that much of a problem.

Your first trimester will be the hardest and I’m not even overstating it. Screw morning sickness. It’s not like what you see in the movies where the actress pukes and viola she’s pregnant. Morning sickness can happen at any time of the day. You’ll be nauseous, severely nauseous. You’ll hate the smell of anything that’s too strong. Food will taste weird and the toilet will be your new best friend. If you’re brave enough like me, you’ll try not to vomit because well, you’ve just had the most glorious meal ever but take note that holding it in won’t help. You’ll feel queasy and it will only make you more nauseous. I even lost a kilo on my first trimester because of all my food aversions (I hated chicken, fish, and anything else that tasted yuck to my palate) and puking. But the key to avoid starving yourself is to eat small amounts of food in frequent intervals. Try eating a cracker or a snack in between meals. That way you won’t feel guilty for starving your youngster.

Aside from the ungrateful morning sickness – screw you, hormones – you may find that your used-to-be-flat chest is now sporting a pair of mommy boobies. Your bosoms are going to be huge and your partner may be enjoying it but it would be best to put on a “hands off” sign since they’ll be swelling and may hurt a lot. By then your areola will start to darken and you may feel weird about your physique.

Some moms had glorious hair when they were expecting. I had my hair bleached to a lighter shade a month before my pregnancy, so when it started growing out, I had ugly uneven colored hair. No, you can’t dye your hair as some chemicals used in hair dyes may be harmful to your baby. There may be some mama-friendly dyes but it would be better to just wait for your first trimester to finish because it is in this stage where all major fetal developments are happening or just do all your hair treatments after your delivery or a few months later on if you plan on breastfeeding.

Since I’ve already mentioned that the first trimester is a crucial stage in fetal development, your doctor will prescribe supplements for you to take. Folic Acid will help in neural development and you better take your medicines religiously for your little one’s sake. Again, have your prenatal check-up as soon as possible. It would also help a lot to eat healthy food (high-protein, starchy food, and fruits and veg) and do some exercise. They say swimming is the best form of exercise when expecting. If you used to jog pre-pregnancy, you may be able to continue on our routine but make sure to check it with your OB first.

You may feel ugly and terribly irritated at this stage but always remember to try to be optimistic all the time. Babies need good vibes, after all. Embrace your womanhood and always feel pretty! If someone compliments you for looking good and fresh, then that must be the magical pregnancy glow working! Your bump may not start to show yet but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t start taking care of yourself. And oh, before I forget… Congratulations! You’re a mama in the works!

*Morality and religiousness aside, it is a known fact that pregnancy can happen at all ages regardless of social status and financial stability. But take note that I am not promoting pre-marital sex or saying that it should be tolerated. As a medical practitioner, it would be best to follow correct family planning methods (including abstinence) and take part in responsible parenthood. This guide is based on the author’s personal experience and should not be taken as a medical advice.    

Image Map

0 feedback/s:

Post a Comment